This module provides you with practical insights from neurobiology as to how to regulate emotions and improve cognitive functions in stressful situations. It also introduces you to practical tools and inspiring experiences from a wide diversity of cultural backgrounds so that you can find your own tools to calm and focus your mind.
These seemingly very simple steps are the foundation to ultimately help rewire your brain and transform the ways your mind and body react. Instead of teaching you one way to achieve this, the module will help you understand the underlying mechanisms and help you put in place (as an individual, a group or a team) the rituals and deliberate practices that you will choose, based on your own resources and what you are already doing.
- The Role of the Breath
- Mind-Body Connections
- How Rituals And Deliberate Practices Focus the Mind and Help Regulate Stress
After this module, you will be able to:
- Understand the role of the breath in reflecting and changing your state of mind and body, particularly in producing a sense of calm.
- Understand elements of the mind-body connection, and enhance cognitive control and awareness through bodily activities, such as focusing on your breathing.
- Be able to use practices involving interoception to increase bodily awareness, and understand how these practices can help reduce and better manage stress.
- Understand the benefits of using rituals to free up space in the brain, focus the mind, and cultivate self-awareness.
- Leverage practices and rituals that you are already familiar with to improve performance and well-being, including in high-stress situations.
- Understand the importance of intention-setting in ritual practice, and apply this to rituals in your life and community.
Skills to Learn
- Understand the role of the breath in bringing your body to a balanced state.
- Learn different techniques for using the breath to promote a sense of calm.
- Understand the important role of the body in regulating the mind.
- Become familiar with different practices that improve bodily awareness in order to reduce / better manage stress; explore how some of your existing practices can help.
- Understand how interoception in particular can activate the parasympathetic nervous system, reduce stress, and support resilience.
- Understand the benefits of deliberate practices in freeing space in the brain, focusing the mind, learning, and improving self-awareness.
- Develop pre-performance rituals to improve focus and attention before conducting a difficult task.
- Leverage rituals to improve performance and well-being, including in high-stress situations.
- Understand the importance of intention-setting in ritual and how intention is related to the ability of a ritual to be fully effective.
This program is highly experiential, while providing solid research-based knowledge. It is adjustable to any environment and sector of activity.