Ritualized experiences can be powerful ways for groups and organizations to transform dynamics among their members. They don’t only help improve immediate individual emotional states but do so by reframing experiences in a way that feels meaningful for the individuals and the groups as a whole. Yet, in many modern societies, we have lost track of what rituals are about; elsewhere, they might not be perceived in their full power.
This module will provide you with an understanding of the different ways that rituals can contribute to stress mitigation, social bonding, interconnectedness, and “co-wiring” of the brain. It will also offer tools for leveraging this understanding in collective rituals in which you may already participate in, want to participate in, re-activate or create.
- Group Support in Rituals Contribute to Greater Control of the Stress Response
- Rituals Satisfy the Need for Belonging and Interconnectedness
- Synchronistic Ritualistic Activities Help Change Patterns of Social Interaction
After this module:
- You will understand how collective rituals contribute to control the stress response, how predictability and safety are important elements of rituals for mitigating stress, and how to apply these elements in your group or organization.
- You will understand the ways in which rituals contribute to social bonding and feelings of interconnectedness, and you will be able to identify and employ elements that make rituals more effective in this regard.
- You will understand how rituals can help “co-wire the brain” and be able to support this process in rituals.
- You will understand how rituals can sometimes reinforce the in-group in harmful ways and be able to remedy this potential danger.
Skills to Learn
- Identify, in any given ritual, elements that can leverage group support to help individuals control their stress response, as well as the ability to adapt rituals when needed.
- Understand the importance of predictability and safety in rituals, and develop an ability to ensure that these elements are present in any collective ritualized activity, particularly in high stress situations.
- Understand the different ways that collective rituals support social bonding and interconnectedness.
- Identify the elements that can make any ritual that you would create / facilitate / participate in effective in building social relationships, and know how to implement them.
- Understand how rituals can help “co-wire the brain”, in particular through synchronicity, mimicry, and empathy, and identify how these elements play a role in the rituals you are familiar with.
- Identify how to introduce them when needed.
- Assess the way the collective rituals that you are familiar with may reinforce in-group identity in support of separation, and understand how this could be remedied.
This program is highly experiential, while providing solid research-based knowledge. It is adjustable to any environment and sector of activity.